Monday, March 1, 2010

Sin Sakana Wishes to be Future Lawyer in Cambodia

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

Sin Sakana, 20, one of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2007” students, provided an interview to The Southeast Asia Weekly, describing about his goals in the future. Sakana was born in 1989. He is the oldest brother with one younger sister who is now living with her parents in Siem Reap province.

Sakana now is studying Law at The University of Cambodia (UC) and also studying English Literature at the Institute of Foreign Languages (IFL) in Phnom Penh. He passed the scholarship exams offered by the University of Cambodia in Phnom Penh in September 2007.

“I was lucky to pass the scholarship exams with The University of Cambodia in 2007 and I have a good chance to study Law at the university in Phnom Penh,” he said.

Sakana studied at the 10th Makara High School in Siem Reap province, and he earned a Baccalaureate in 2007. He applied to study Law at The University of Cambodia following the introduction of the “Samdech Hun Sen- Handa National Scholarships” in 2007.

The scholarship student said that he decided to study Law with the University of Cambodia because he wants to become a future lawyer in Cambodia.

“My dream is to become a lawyer or law professor, and I want to become a lawyer because I think that I can work to help the poor and contribute in strengthening and promoting law enforcement, rule of law and democracy in my country,” he said.

Since Sakana has studied Law with UC in 2007, his English and Law abilities have improved. He can read, write and speak English well. He can also understand the basic knowledge of laws both national and international in Cambodia.

“I noted that since I studied Law with UC, I know and understand many issues relating with the laws, constitutions and human rights in Cambodia,” he said. “I hope that my Law skills will be improved after the completion of my degree with UC in the future.”

Sakana pointed out that besides studying Law with The University of Cambodia, he is now also studying English Literature at the Institute of Foreign Languages (IFL).

“I like studying both Law and English Literature. I like studying Law because I wish to be a future lawyer or law professor in Cambodia,” he said. “I like studying English literature because I want to communicate, speak and write well so that I am able to communicate easily with foreign people in the world, in addition to my law career.”

When Sakana completes his degree with The University of Cambodia, he will apply for the scholarship to study the Master’s degree in Law in South Korea in the future, he hinted.

Pem Sopheak, 21, UC student and friend of Sakana, praised Sakana’s hard work.
He said that has known Sin Sakana since 2007 when he was studying English with him at UC in Phnom Penh. He added that Sakana is a hard leaner and a gentle, helpful and honest student. ///

No comments: