‘My dream is to help the underprivileged’

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

“My dream is to become a lawyer or law professor working in Cambodia. I want to become a lawyer because I think that this work enables me to help the underprivileged and contribute to the strengthening and promote the law enforcement and democracy in my country. It is also my responsibility to make money to support my family in future,” Sam Phalla, a 20-year-old “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2007” student states during an interview with The Southeast Asia Weekly on September 10.

Phalla now is studying Law at The University of Cambodia (UC) and studying Economic Information at the Royal University of Law and Economic Sciences (RULE) in Phnom Penh.
“I am happy that I passed the scholarship exams from The University of Cambodia in 2007 and have a chance to study the Law at the University of Cambodia because it is an outstanding university in Cambodia,” he said.

Phalla stated that since he studied with UC in 2007, his English and understanding of Law have been improving with great strides. He can read, write and speak English well as well as understand the basic principles of law, both local and international laws which have been implemented in Cambodia. “I noted that since I studied Law at UC, I became familiar with many issues relating to laws, constitutions and human rights as practicing in Cambodia,” he said. “I hope that my understanding of law skills will be even more improved after the completion of my graduation with UC in the future.”

Besides studying with UC, Phalla is also studying the Economic Information with the Royal University of Laws and Economic Sciences in Phnom Penh. He decided to study Economic Information because he wants to improve his economic knowledge addition to his Law study.
“I like studying both Law and Economics Major. I like studying Law because I wish to be a future lawyer or law professor in Cambodia. I decided to study Economic Information because I wanted to know and understand about new economic technology and economic situation in Cambodia as well as in the world in addition to my law career,” he said.

Phalla continued that to reach his goals, he now studies very hard, does his home works and reads many books related to his studies on a daily basis. He emphasized that when he completes his graduation with UC, he will apply for a scholarship to study a Master’s degree in Law in Japan or South Korea. He added that when he completes his Master degree in Law and he will then apply for new scholarship to study at the United States of America.

Phalla is now looking for internship or part-time work with national and international Non-Governmental Organizations in Cambodia. He wants to work as internship so that he can gain working experience and other office skills and gain useful experience prior to graduation. And he hopes to make some money to support his own study and family.

Rath Virak Neary, 18, a first year Economic student with The University of Cambodia and an English Literature student of the Institute of Foreign Language (IFL) in Phnom Penh, and personal friend to Sam Phalla, said that she admired Phalla’s hard works and study.
Vireak Neary said that she has knows Sam Phalla since 2008 when she was studying English with him at The University of Cambodia. She said that Sam Phalla is a hard leaner, gentle, helpful and honest student in her class. “I have felt honored to be Sam Phalla’s friend. I hope that he will realize his dream and I wish him all the best to get success and good luck with his studies in the future,” she said.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist