JD Soup was convicted with drug abuse and drug trafficking

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

A CELEBRITY disc jockey was yesterday accused of masterminding a drug trafficking operation last year.

American-Cambodian Sophorn Horl, who is also known as DJ Soup, is best known in Cambodia as a former presenter of a popular radio entertainment programme on TV3.

Yesterday, he appeared at Phnom Penh Municipal Court to face charges of drug trafficking, together with taxi driver Keang Bunna, 35, and motodop Sambath Tony, 25.

Presiding Judge Suos Sam Ath said that all three were arrested at the Samdech Chea Sim Garden Park in Tonle Basac commune, Chamkarmorn district, Phnom Penh last October. It is alleged that they had met to exchange drugs.

The court heard that a car was searched during the arrest. Police seized around one kilogramme of power and drug-related materials. Later tests found that 0.35 grams of the powder were amphetamines.

Deputy court prosecutor, Chea Meth, alleged that DJ Soup was the leader of a drug trafficking operation, while Keang Bunna and Sambath Tony were merely accomplices.

“I would like to ask the presiding judge to strongly sentence them so that they will not commit more [crimes] in the future,” he said.

DJ Soup denied that charges, saying: “I am not a drug trafficker and I did not also know about the drug hidden in the car. I am innocent.

“I think that someone had put it [the drugs] in the car in order to blame it on me. I would like to ask the court to drop charges against me.”

Keang Bunna and Sambath Tony, a former drug addict, also denied the charge against them.

“I recognise that I used to smoke and was addicted to drugs, but I have not been involved or committed this drug trafficking. I would like to ask the court to release me,” Sambath Tony said.

A verdict is due on June 10, said Suos Sam Ath.

Comments

UNKNOWN said…
I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. discreet packaging

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist