Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

A HUSBAND and wife who recruited a child prostitute at Phnom Penh’s Sorya Shopping Mall were given 10-year jail terms yesterday.

Brothel owners Chab Thirith, 27, and wife, Ouk Kimren, 24, were found guilty of purchasing child prostitution after recruiting a 15-year-old girl as a sex worker last year. They were arrested in December at their home, near Sorya mall in Phsar Thmey I commune, Daun Penh district, after the girl’s family lodged a complain against them.

Presiding Judge of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, Kor Vandy, said yesterday that “they had been run a brothel in their house for many years before they were arrested”.

“They lobbied the victim to work with them and forced her to have sex with guests in order to make money for their own interests,” he said, adding the couple must pay a total of 4 million riels (US$1,000) in compensation to the girl.

Speaking to The Post yesterday, the 15-year-old victim said that she had first met the couple at Sorya. Ouk Kimren had then offered her a job, together with a good salary.

Without informing her parents, she decided to take up the offer.

“They had asked me to work with them but they did not tell me that what kind of work it was. I was detained by them in the room and they forced me to have sex with many old men, including Cambodians and foreign people,” she said.

She added that she worked as a sex worker for four months before escaping the brothel.

“I got sick because of having much sex with old men. That meant I could escape when they were not at home. They were not paying much attention to me because of my sickness,” she said.

Although she said she was pleased by the verdict, she added: “I think that the compensation is very little for me if compared with [the loss of] my purity and honour.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist