Monday, June 6, 2011

A 26-year old was charged with raping of a 10-year old girl

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

KANDAL provincial court charged a 26-year-old man with the rape of a 10-year-old schoolgirl in Ang Snuol district on Friday.
Chea Yorn, deputy chief of the provincial Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Office, said yesterday that university student Roeun Sok Heng, 26, was arrested at his home in Chhak Chhoeu Neang commune’s Trapaing Chuob village on Thursday following a complaint by the victim’s family.
“He was officially charged with raping of a juvenile girl inside of his house,” he said, adding that the girl had been accosted while she was gathering plants for cooking near a pond behind her home on Thursday morning.
“She wanted to pick lotuses in the pond for cooking but she could not enter into the water to collect them because the water was too deep. So she has asked the suspect who was staying there for help, but the suspect said that he would only help to pick the lotus for her if she agreed to have sex with him,” he said, adding that the girl agreed and the suspect retrieved three flowers for her before bringing her to his home.
“He was arrested after he had successfully raped the victim and the victim told her parents about the rape,” Chea Yorn said, adding that the suspect was being detained in Kandal provincial prison ahead of his trial.
In a separate case, a 17-year-old high school student was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of raping a 16-year-old girl in Phnom Penh.
Keo Sonthouth, chief of the Phnom Penh Thmey commune police, said that Ya Sou Yung, 17, a grade 10 student at Samdech Hun Sen High School, was arrested over the rape of a grade 8 student from the same high school in Sen Sok’s Phnom Penh Thmey commune.
“He was arrested while he was staying with his girlfriend in a guesthouse in Teuk Thla commune, Sen Sok district. He was accused of raping the victim who is also his girlfriend,” he said, adding that the victim’s family had filed a complaint to police.
Keo Sonthouth also said that the suspect was now being detained at the Phnom Penh Thmey commune police station for questioning before he is sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court for his charges today.

No comments: