Scholarship Student Sok Eng Wishes to be a Lawyer

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

Sok Eng, 21, one of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2007” students. He was born in 1989 in Phnom Penh and he has one brother and two sisters. His father passed a way and his mother is a shoe vendor living in Phnom Penh.

He is now studying Law at The University of Cambodia (UC) and he is also studying his Media major at the Department of Media and Communication in the Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP).

Sok Eng passed the scholarship exams offered by The University of Cambodia (UC) in 2007. He studied at a High School in Phnom Penh and earned a Baccalaureate in 2007 before he studied with UC.

“I would like to thank the Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen, Dr. Haruhisa Handa and Dr. Kao Kim Hourn who offered me the chance to study free of charge with UC in Phnom Penh. I think that if there was not this opportunity I would not be able to study Law at the University of Cambodia which is the best qualified university in Cambodia, also because my mother has no money to pay for my university’s studies,” he told The Southeast Asia Weekly.

Sok Eng studies Law with UC because he wants to become a lawyer in order to help Cambodian people. His aim is to promote the respect of law, human rights and the rule of law in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

“I had decided to study Law because I want to become a professional lawyer in Cambodia,” he said. “I want to work to help the poor and to contribute to the strengthening and the promotion of rule of law and law enforcement in Cambodia,” he added.

Since Sok Eng studied Law with UC in 2007, he has been learning a lot about the subject. He can understand about the basic concepts of laws including Constitutions, civil laws, national and international laws, penal code and criminal law and other legislations which have been implementing in Cambodia. He can also read, write and speak English.

“I am now happy because my knowledge of Law has been improved after my study with UC,” he said. “I hope that UC will make my dream become true and I will able to find a job where I can help the poor who have problems with legal affairs in Cambodia in the future.”

He said that when he completes his graduation with UC, he will then apply for the study of the Master’s degree in Law with The University of Cambodia in the future.

He continued to say that besides studying Law with The University of Cambodia; he now is also in his second year of the Media and Communication at the Department of Media and Communication in the Royal University of Phnom Penh in Phnom Penh.

He added that he decided to additionally to study Media and Communication major with RUPP because media and communication are supplementary to lawyer major and it can improve his law and working skills in the future.

Sok Eng emphasized that besides his studies with UC and RUPP, he is now looking for part-time or voluntary work with either a private company or NGO in Phnom Penh. He added that the reason why I have decided to find work while studying is because he wanted to earn money to support his studies and his family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist