“My Dream is to Become a Future Diplomat”

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

Pem Penh, 21, one of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2007” students, spoke with The Southeast Asia Weekly on January 7, 2010, describing his hard learning to get a scholarship. Penh was born in 1989 in Kirivong district, Takeo province. He is the oldest of two sons in his family. Penh’s parents are farmers and living in Kirivong district, Takeo province.

Penh is now studying International Relations (IR) at The University of Cambodia (UC) and is also studying Economics at the National University of Management in Phnom Penh. Penh studied at the Sok An Sobin High School in Kirivong district, Takeo province and earned a Baccalaureate in 2007. He applied to study International Relations at UC following the introduction of the “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships” in 2007.

“I was happy that I passed the scholarship exams from The University of Cambodia and I have a chance to study IR at UC, which is an outstanding university in Cambodia,” he said. “I think that if I did not get the UC’s scholarship I probably cannot study with UC because my family is poor and I have no money to pay for UC’s fee.”

He pointed out that he decided to study IR with The University of Cambodia because he wanted to become a future diplomat, working with the Cambodian government.

“My dream is to become a diplomat working with the Royal Government of Cambodia or working with the UN’s agencies in Cambodia in the future. I wanted to become a diplomat because I think that with this major I can work to promote good relationships with other countries in the world and also to bring financial support and donations for my country,” he said.

He stated that since he has studied IR with UC in 2007 so far, his knowledge and understanding about IR has improved. He can also understand the basic knowledge of laws, both local and international, which have been implemented in Cambodia.

“I noted that since I studied IR with UC, I understood many issues relating to the laws, constitutions and human rights, which have been practiced in Cambodia,” he said. “I hope that my IR skills will be improved after my graduation from UC in the future.”

Pem Penh said that besides studying International Relations with The University of Cambodia, he now is also studying Economics at the National University of Management in Phnom Penh. He said he decided to study Economics because he wanted to know clearly about the new economic program and new economic technology information in addition to his IR major in the future.

Penh continued that to reach his goals, he now studies very hard, does homework and reads many books related to his studies every day. He added that when he graduates from UC, he will apply for Master’s degree study with The University of Cambodia in the future.

Din Vandara, 20, a UC scholarship student and also a friend of Pem Penh, appreciates Penh’s hard work. He said that he has known Pem Penh since 2007 when he was studying English with him at the UC in Phnom Penh. He added that Penh’s family is poor but he is a hard learner, gentle, helpful, and honest student in his class. ///

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist