“I Want to Become a Businesswoman to Manage My Own Business”

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

One of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarship” students, Ly Souchen, 23, spoke with The Southeast Asia Weekly on December 9, describing her academic experience. Souchen is the oldest of two daughters in her family and her parents are businesspeople living in Phnom Penh, where she was born in 1988.

Ly Souchen is now studying Business Management (BM) at The University of Cambodia (UC) in Phnom Penh after passing the scholarship exams on September 22, 2007.

“I think that it is my great opportunity to have a chance [to study at] UC, which is the best university in Cambodia. I would like to thank UC’s President Dr. Kao Kim Hourn and Samdech Hun Sen so much for offering me the scholarship to study at UC,” she said. “I [am honored] and very happy to be a scholarship student of the Prime Minister Samdech Hun Sen. I commit to study hard and work hard and when I graduate from UC, I will work for the development and the benefit of my country in future.”

Ly Souchen studied at Bak Touk High School in Phnom Penh and earned a Baccalaureate in 2007. She applied to study Business Management with UC following the introduction of the “Samdech Hun Sen -Handa National Scholarships” in 2007.

She said that she decided to study Business Management at UC because she wants to become a successful businesswoman running her own business in Cambodia.

“I have liked doing business since I was a child and I like studying Business Management because I wish to be a businesswoman and manage my own business in the future. I decided to study BM at UC because I hope that it helps make my dream [come true],” she said.

So far, she has learned a lot studying BM at UC. She learned how to be a business manager or a leader, how to build relationships between students, and communicating with foreign people. Her English has also improved.

“I am now very happy because my knowledge has been improving in general and my English [has] improved and I can read, write and speak English well,” she said. “I hope that my Business Management and English skills will be influential after the completion of my graduation from UC.”

Souchen added that when she completes her degree, she will then apply to study for a Master’s Degree at UC in the future. She emphasized that besides her studies, she is now looking for internships or part-time work with national and international companies or Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Cambodia.

She wants intern work so that she can learn about working and other office skills to gain useful experience prior to graduation. In addition, she can earn money to support her studies while at UC.

Po Piset, 19, a close friend to Ly Souchen, said that he appreciated Souchen’s hard work. He said that Souchen is a good learner and a friendly, honest and helpful student. “I hope that with her hard work, she will be able to complete her Business Management degree at UC in the future,” she said. “I wish her all the best of luck and success in future.” ///

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist