“I am Now Studying Hard to Complete my Bachelor Degree in IT”

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

An Borith, 19, one of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarship” winners in 2007, interviewed with The Southeast Asia Weekly on November 5, telling about his wishes for the future. Borith was born in 1990 in Prey Chhor district, Kampong Cham province. He is the youngest child in his family, having three older sisters. He is now studying Computer Science with The University of Cambodia (UC) and also Management at the National University of Management (NUM) in Phnom Penh.

Borith’s father is working as Director of the Provincial Economy and Finance Department in Kampong Cham province and his mother makes a living doing business in Prey Chhor district.

An Borith passed the scholarship exams offered by UC in Phnom Penh in 2007. Before he passed the UC exams, he studied at the Norodom Ranariddh-Kantha Bopha High School in Prey Chhor district, Kampong Cham province and earned a Baccalaureate in 2007.

“I am happy that I passed the scholarship of The University of Cambodia in the major of Information Technology (IT) in 2007,” he said. “I am now studying hard to complete my Bachelor degree with The University of Cambodia.”

Borith said that he decided to study Computer Science with The University of Cambodia because he likes technology and has been interested in it since he was child. He added that he wants to become a computer database administrator or computer technician in Cambodia in the future.

“The reason that I chose to major in IT at this university is because I know there are many qualified lecturers and that they also have modern equipment at UC. So I wanted to study here and in the future become a computer database administrator or IT expert in Cambodia,” he said.

Borith pointed out that since he started studying Computer Science with UC, he has studied many things, such as computer skills and English literature, along with other fields which he has enjoyed. He can also read, write and speak English well.

“After I studied with UC, I now know a lot about computer science and new technology of the world. UC tries to teach me in English, so my English has also improved. I now feel that I can apply for work with private companies and in non-government organizations in Cambodia,” he said. “However, to complete my study with UC, I will try to study hard because in the future I want to have a good job with a good salary to support my family.”

Borith pointed out that to achieve his goal, he now studies very hard - three hours per day with UC. He also reads information related to his studies every day, including books and other research sources such as the internet, foreign newspapers and magazines. He went on to say that when he completes his Bachelor’s degree, he will continue to apply for scholarships to study for his Master’s degree in Computer Science in Australia.

Besides his study with UC, Borith is also in his first year of Management courses at the National University of Management in Phnom Penh. He stated that he decided to study Management because he thought that this major would be relevant and support his IT major in the future. He hopes it will help him successfully manage his own business someday.

Other than studying with UC and NUM, Borith is also working part-time as an IT manager with Norak Reach Angkor Tour Company in Phnom Penh. He has worked with this company since 2008 in order to improve his studies and gain work experience prior to his graduation. He also needed to make money to support his own studies while he stayed in Phnom Penh.

Heng Samedy, 23, a third-year IT student of the Royal University of Phnom Penh and personal friend to An Borith, appreciates Borith’s capacity for hard work. Samedy said he has known Borith since they studied together at Norodom Ranariddh-Kantha Bopha High School in 2005. Borith was a hard worker and was one of the most outstanding students in his class.

“I think that I am proud that I have a good friend like An Borith. I hope with his hard study, hard work and strong commitment, he will complete his Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences with UC in the future. I wish him the best in realizing his dream of becoming a future IT expert in Cambodia,” he said during an interview with The Southeast Asia Weekly.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist