Scholar Student Mut Samoeun Works Towards Career in Law

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

One of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2007” students, Mut Samoeun, 28, has described plans for his future and whet he intends to do with his qualifications in an interview with The Southeast Asia Weekly on May 25.

Samoeun is the youngest member of his family, having two older brothers. They now live in Stung district, Kampong Thom province where he was born in 1981. Currently, he is a Buddhist monk staying at Thvay Dangkum pagoda. He also studies law with the University of Cambodia (UC) in Phnom Penh. He passed the scholarship exams offered by UC in August 2007.

“I became a Buddhist monk in 1996 whilst living in Stung district in Kampong Thom province. I decided to become a monk as I wanted to continue my studies and this would be easier as a monk. Secondly I wanted to study and follow the teaching of Dharma to promote the Buddhist religion, peace and morality in Cambodia.”

The second year student said that as a monk living in Kampong Thom province, he stayed at the Angkanh pagoda in Stung district. Later he moved to stay at Nokor Barchey Krao pagoda situated in Kampong Cham province and continued to study at Samdech Chuon Nath Buddhist High School in the same location.

He earned a Baccalaureate in 2007 and then went on to stay at the Thvay Dangkum pagoda in early 2007. There he continued his studies with UC as well as Preah Sihanouk Reach University (PSRBU) in Phnom Penh. He applied to study Law at UC following the introduction of the “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships” in 2007.

“I am very happy to have passed the UC scholarship exams in 2007; without this generous scholarship, I would probably not be able to study at UC,” Samoeun said. “To thank the scholarship owners and UC, I will study hard to complete my Bachelor’s degree in law. I will then apply to study for postgraduate study with UC in the future.”

Samoeun continued to say that he decided to apply for Law with UC because in his opinion, the University is the right place for all students to learn solid academic or vocational skills at the same time as gaining a thorough command of the English language.

“I decided to study Law with UC because I want to be a legislative professor or a lawyer in the future. I prefer to study at UC because this university has qualified professors and excellent teachers,” Samoeun said. “I am certain these academics can help me realize my dreams.”

Besides his studies with UC, Samoeun is now studying in the third year of an Educational Sciences Major at Preah Sihanouk Reach Buddhist University in Phnom Penh.

“I am at peace with myself as I have achieved success in both my courses of study with UC and PSRBU,” Samoeun said. “If I didn’t think I would be able to succeed with two courses, I would naturally drop one of them to concentrate on the other – probably my studies in the Law.”

Samoeun said besides his studies, he is also looking for a volunteer or part-time work with national or international Non-Governmental Organizations. He wants to work as volunteer to get practical experience to augment his academic qualifications. He believes this help him find a full-time position quickly after graduation. It will also help him fund his studies.

Prem Rai, the Chief Buddhist Monk at Nokor Barchey Krao Pagoda in Kampong Cham province is also a personal friend to Samoeun. He said he appreciated Samoeun’s capacity to get the work done as he is an early riser and always keen to meet the deadline, be it set by the monkhood or an educational establishment.

Rai said that he has known Mut Samoeun since he was a child living in Kampong Thom province. He said that Mut Samoen’s family was not rich and they were overjoyed to hear about his successful scholarship application. They had confidence in their son’s ability to repay the scholarship donor with complete application and dedication to improvement for himself, his family and the wider society. He had no trouble believing this as in his opinion, Samoen was one of the most outstanding young monks ever to have entered the doors of Choun Narth his Buddhist High-school.

“I am honored to have a friend like Samoeun,” Raid told The Southeast Asia Weekly. “I am certain he will realize his dreams to become a professor of the law.” ////

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist