Ouk Daroath Describes His Wishes and Experience

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

One of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2008” students, Ouk Daroath, 27, is working towards a qualification in Information Technology (IT) with The University of Cambodia (UC). Daroath revealed his plans while providing an interview to The Southeast Asia Weekly on June 15.

Ouk Daroath has three brothers and three sisters, he being the youngest in the family. He comes from a farming background, his parents cultivating land around Koh Veng village, Boeung Sala Khang Tbong commune in Kampong Trach district, Kampot province.

“I became a Buddhist monk in 1999, as I wanted to study the teachings of Buddha, Dharma, and general education. I believed and still do that this would be the best way for me to promote the Buddhist religion, social morality and peace in Cambodia,” he said. “I passed the scholarship exams offered by UC in 2008 and I am certain that an IT qualification from this source will help me advance these ideals.”

Daroath stayed at Samrong pagoda in Sihanouk province and in 2002, he moved to Chum Kriel Pagoda, located in Kampot province. There he studied at Chum Kriel High School. He earned his Baccalaureate in 2008 and then applied to study IT at UC. This was made possible by the introduction of the Samdech Techo Hun Sen “Vision 100”scholarship and “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarship” in 2008.

“I am happy as I passed the UC scholarship exams. I think that if I had failed them, I would probably not be able to study with UC - the most prestigious university in Cambodia,” Daroath said.

In Daroath’s opinion, the best way to thank the owners of scholarship, especially Samdech Hun Sen, Dr. Handa and Dr Kao, will be to make a successful course of study. He also wishes to take the study of IT as far as he can, with a Master’s degree in the subject, studies at UC, forming part of his plans.

Daroath decided to apply to study IT at The University of Cambodia because of the excellent reputation the University has acquired over a short period. She is known for her fully qualified lecturers, well-equipped classrooms and modern, relevant Curricular.

“I note there are few home-grown IT programmers working for Cambodian organizations. I decided to study Information Technology because I wanted to become an expert in future. I also sense this will be a vibrant sector of the economy once it picks up again with plenty of jobs for properly qualified applicants,” he said.

He is now looking for volunteer or part-time work with national and international Non-Governmental Organizations. He said he wanted work experience to learn about working and other office skills and to gain useful experience prior to graduation.

Nao Sovann, 30, student at the Suramrith Buddhist High School in Phnom Penh, and close friend to Ouk Daroath, said he appreciated Daroath’s capacity for hard work.

Sovann, a Buddhist monk, said that he got to know Ouk Daroath when he was studying with him at Chum Kiel High School in Kampot province in 2002. He said that Daroath was a hard worker and was one of the most outstanding students in his class.

He continued to say that during his study with Daroath in high school, Daroath gained a reputation as both a Khmer Literature expert and Electrician.

“It is my pleasure and honor to have a good friend like Daroath, and I hope with his study and hard work, he will become an IT expert,” he told The Southeast Asia Weekly by telephone on June 16. “I hope that he will realize his dreams as he deserves all success in life.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist