UC Scholar Heng Geklim Studying for IT career

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

One of the University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2008” students, Heng Geklim, 19, has provided an interview to The Cambodia Weekly on April 27. Geklim was born on October 9, 1990 in Kampong Cham province. She is the oldest of her parent’s children, having two brothers.

Geklim is now studying Information Technology (IT) at The University of Cambodia (UC), having passed scholarship exams offered by the University of Cambodia in Phnom Penh on September 22, 2008.

“I am so proud of myself for being able to pass the UC scholarship exams on my first try. When I look back on that time, I regard it as the first step on the road to becoming a young professional person,” she said. “I am well aware of my good fortune in being able to study at UC. I now enjoy a rigorous academic life, I am making new friends and extending my network everyday; and I am leading this life for free due to the great generosity of the University authorities.”

Geklim studied at Srey Santhor High School in Kampong Cham province, earning a Baccalaureate in 2008. She then applied to study Information Technology at UC following the introduction of the “Samdech Hun Sen- Handa National Scholarships” in 2008.

“I am studying very hard in order to complete my Bachelor’s degree,” she said. “Everyone needs a purpose and goal in life and earning a bachelor’s degree is mine. If I am successful, I will then go on to study for my Master’s degree with UC.”

She first heard of UCs enviable reputation back in 2007 when friends who were studying there introduced her to the UC advantage. She got to know her instructors for the qualified and committed educationalists they are, mapped out a study plan from the many options presented to her and started to enjoy a purposeful student life based on the US further education system.

Geklim believes that a UC qualification in IT will give her the best opportunity of securing long-term employment in an industry that she loves.

The enthusiastic student also pointed to the University’s English language policies. She said that her command of English – be it in reading, writing, listening or speaking – has improved dramatically.

“I am now increasingly confident in my ability to communicate in English, an essential ability in my intended line of work,” Geklim said. “Khmer is the language of my heart, the language my mother taught me and the language of my life. However, if I need to express some intellectual notion, the English language gives me the precision necessary to express minute academic details. By the time I graduate, I should be fluent in the language. This additional string to my bow will improve my chances of finding a career with an international dimension.”

In addition to her studies, Geklim is now looking for internships or a part-time work with national or international companies or Non-Governmental Organizations ( NGOs) in Cambodia.

She said that she wants to gain hands –on work experience in a busy office prior to graduation. Of course, a little extra cash always helps too.
Whilst studying in Phnom Penh, Geklim stays with a group of friends from the same province. Her landlord charges her $50 per month.

Touch Engly, 20, a first-year Engineering Student studying at another university and friend to Heng Geklim, said he was confident his friend would succeed.

Engly has known Heng Geklim since 2006 when he was studying with her at Srey Santhor High School in Kampong Cham province. He emphasized that Geklim was a hard worker and always amongst the top ten students in his class.

“I am proud of Heng Geklim and I know her to be a very active, friendly, honest and helpful young lady,” Engly told The Cambodia Weekly by telephone. “I hope that she will become a good manager in Cambodia and I wish her the best of luck and success in the future.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist