Scholarship Student tells about his hard learning to become English Interpreter

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

Em Vichet, 19, one of The University of Cambodia’s recipients of the “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2008,” was born in Kampong Cham province and is the youngest among his five siblings – two brothers and three sisters. He now studies English Literature at UC.

Vichet passed the scholarship exams offered by UC in Phnom Penh on September 22, 2008.

“I am pleased that I passed the scholarship exams from The University of Cambodia in 2008,” Vichet said. “I think I am lucky and am greatly honored to have the chance to study at The University of Cambodia, which is an outstanding and qualified university.”

Vichet said that he received a Baccalaureate from Srey Santhor High School in Kampong Cham province in 2008. He later applied to UC following the introduction of the university’s scholarship program.

He has been studying hard and everyday does homework and reads books related to his studies so he can achieve his goals.

“I will study hard to earn my Bachelor’s degree in order to thank Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, the UC President, and Samdech Hun Sen and Dr. Handa who sponsored the scholarship,” Vichet said. “I will continue to study for my Master’s and Doctoral degrees with The University of Cambodia in the future.”

He decided to study English because he wants to be an English interpreter or English teacher. He prefers to study at UC because the university has qualified professors, excellent teaching and a curriculum relevant to the current job market.

“I am happy because I can write and speak English well after studying with The University of Cambodia,” he said. “I hope my English skills will improve more after graduation in the near future.”

Vichet said he will apply to work with a private company or international organization after graduation. He then plans to create his own English Center in Kampong Cham province after gain work experience.

Currently, he is looking for internships or part-time work with national and international non-governmental organizations in Cambodia. He wants to work as an intern so he can learn office skills and get useful experience before graduation as well as make some money to support his studies.

Heng Geklim, 19, a first-year Economics student of the Norton University in Phnom Penh and personal friend to Vichet, said that she appreciates Vichet’s capacity to work hard.

“I have known Em Vichet since 2006 when he studied in the same class with me in grade 10 at the Srey Santhor High School in Kampong Cham province. He was a hard worker and the most outstanding student in my class,” she said. “I am very proud to be Vichet’s friend and I wish him all the luck and success in future.” ////

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist