UC Scholar Dreams of Achieving Higher Education

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

Phoan Putheary, 19, was one of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Techo Hun Sen Vision-100 Scholarships” recipients in 2008. She passed the scholarship exams at The University of Cambodia (UC) as well as at the University of Puthisastra (UP).

Putheary was born in Phnom Penh and has one sister and one brother and she is the eldest sibling in her family. She now studies International Relations at UC and Management of Business at (UP) in Phnom Penh.

“I am very happy because I passed the scholarship exams from the University of Cambodia and the University of Puthisastra in 2008. I think that I passed the two scholarship exams in the same academic year because I study hard and work hard,” she said.

After earning her Baccalaureate from Tuol Tumpong High School in Phnom Penh in 2008, she applied to study International Relations at UC. The university’s introduction of the “Samdech Techo Hun Sen Vision-100 Scholarships” program garnered her interest in the university.

“I decided to apply for study the International Relations at the University of Cambodia because my friends told me that UC is the best university in Cambodia. I often saw Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, the UC President’s activities and interviews about UC broadcasting in local and international television channels, such as the ASEAN Program Channel. I grew an appreciation for UC and I praise Dr. Kim Hourn very much for his efforts,” she said.

To achieve her goals, she studies hard every day and reads books related to her studies. She also takes advantage sources like the internet, foreign newspapers and magazines to perform additional research in her area of study.

“I decided to study International Relations because I wanted to speak English well and either become a diplomat or tour guide in Cambodia in future. I prefer to study with UC because the university has qualified professors, excellent teaching and most up-to-date curriculum,” she said.

She said wants more than ever to receive her Bachelor’s degree, as it will be a stepping stone in reaching her goals. She plans to then continue studying for Master’s and Doctoral degrees at UC.

Besides her university courses, Putheary is also studying English at the Australian Center for Education (ACE) in Phnom Penh and is brushing up on her computer skills. She is also looking for internships or part-time work with national and international non-governmental organizations.

She said she wants to work while she getting her education because she wanted to acquire office skills and gain useful experiences prior to graduation.

Sun Srei Nay, 18, a first-year student at UP, and personal friend to Putheary, said she appreciated Putheary’s diligence in her work.

Srei Nay said she met Putheary in 2006 when they studied together at Tuol Tumpong High School. She said Putheary had an appetite for learning and was one of the most outstanding students in her class.

“I think that it is my pleasure and honor that I have a good friend like Putheary,” Srei Nay said. “I hope she will continue to study and work hard. I’m confident she will become an outstanding student at UC. I also hope that she will realize her dreams and become a future leader in Cambodia.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist