Hard Working Student Sophealeak Wishes to be English Teacher

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

Pech Sophealeak, 18, who was born in Phnom Penh, is one of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2008” recipients. She is the oldest in her family of two brothers and one sister. She now studies English Literature at UC.

Sophealeak earned her Baccalaureate from Bak Touk High School in Phnom Penh in 2008. She applied to study English Literature at UC following the introduction of the “Samdech Techo Hun Sen Vision-100 Scholarships” and “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2008” in 2008. She now studies very hard to make the most of the opportunities presented to her.

Sophealeak said that she took two scholarship exams in 2008 before receiving the UC scholarship.

“I think I am very lucky to have passed the scholarship exams from The University of Cambodia, a top institution in the region. I am happy because the university takes care of all my tuition fees, removing a great burden from my parents’ shoulders,” she said.

Sophealeak said she first applied for the “Samdech Techo Hun Sen’s Vision-100 Scholarships 2008” and took the exam on September 13, 2008, but she failed.

She continued that after she failed the first exam, then continued to apply for the “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2008” and took exam on September 21, 2008. She passed it.

“I think that if I had to pay for my studies at The University of Cambodia, I would probably have no chance to study here. Thus, to show my appreciation to The University of Cambodia and Prime Minister Hun Sen, the scholarship owner and therefore my gracious benefactor, I will study hard to earn my Bachelor’s degree. I will then continue my studies as far as I can take them with The University of Cambodia,” she said.

Sophealeak continued to say that besides her studies, she is now looking for internships or volunteer English teacher positions at national and international non-governmental organizations in Phnom Penh. She wants intern work so that she can learn about the workflow in other professional organizations and gain useful experience prior to graduation.

“I decided to apply to study English Literature at UC because my friends told me that it is the best university in Cambodia. I also heard about the university and its educational programs and scholarships via the advertisements and announcements aired by the Southeast Asia Radio FM 106 in Phnom Pen,” she said.

Sophealeak said that her dream is to be obtain a degree in English Literature with UC and to be an English teacher and interpreter in future. She said that when she completes her studies, she will apply for jobs where she can teach English and then go on to establish her own English school in Cambodia.

“I decided to study English Literature because I wanted to speak English well and either become a professional English teacher, interpreter or advisor working with non-governmental organizations or the Royal Government of Cambodia in future. I prefer to study with UC because the university has qualified professors, excellent teaching and an up-to-date curriculum modeled on the modular system in the United State of America,” she said.

She said she started studying English when she was 6 years old. She studied English Literature at the New World Institute in Phnom Penh.

Sophealeak obtained “Level 17” and “Advanced Diploma of English” before she applied to UC, and she can speak and write English well.

“After graduation, I will then continue to study for my Master’s and Doctoral degrees with The University of Cambodia,” Sophealeak said.

She studies hard every day and reads books related to her studies in order to achieve her goals. She also takes advantage sources like the Internet and foreign newspapers and magazines to continue practicing her English.

Lim Sengkong, 43, Sophealeak’s father, is very happy with his daughter’s efforts. He said that Sophealeak was able to pass the UC scholarship exams because she studies and works hard.

“I am very proud that I have a good daughter and I wish her success in the future. I think that her scholarship will encourage her to study harder and to reach her goals,” he said.

Sengkong said that when his daughter was in primary and high school, she studied very hard every day and as a result, brought home glowing reports from her instructors on a monthly basis.

“I am honored as my daughter’s work ethic makes it likely she will become an outstanding student. I also hope that she will realize her dreams and became a future professional English teacher or interpreter in Cambodia,” he said.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist