Ex-Sok Sam An CNRP leader pleads for his freedom

 


Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

Kong Sam An, a former Cambodian National Rescue Party [CNRP] council member in Memout district, Tboung Khmum province, yesterday pleaded for his freedom with the Supreme Court.  

“I am old and living with many diseases in prison. I ask the Supreme Court to drop my charges and release me from the prison so that I my chronic diseases can be treated and I can be with my family,” he said. 

Sam An was arrested on September 20, 2020 at his house in Tboung Khmum province’s Suong district, Suong commune and convicted on September 22, 2020, of inciting the people to go against the government and conspiring with former CNRP leader Sam Rainsy to overthrow the government committed between 2018 and 2019. 

He was sentenced by the Tboung Khmum provincial court to 8 years and 6 months jail on two counts of “plotting and incitement to cause social unrest” under Articles 453, 494 and 495 of the Criminal Code. 

The former high school professor appealed to the Tboung Khmum Appeal Court and when his conviction was upheld by the court in September last year, Sam An turned to the Supreme Court. 

According to court documents, Sam An was arrested after he organised, together other youths and environmental  activist  groups, a protest at Phnom Penh’s freedom park in August, 2020, to call for the release of the union leader Rong Chhun and other political prisoners at that time. 

Sam An had also posted on his Facebook urging the public to be present for the planned repatriation of former CNRP leader Sam Rainsy on November 9, 2019.

At yesterday’s appeal hearing, Sam An, denied that he had been involved with Sam Rainsy or other former CNRP high ranking officials in attempting to overthrow the government.  

He, however, admitted that since the Supreme Court dissolved the CNRP in 2017, he had participated in former CNRP’s supporters' meetings, such as dinner gatherings and, among others, the campaign for clean hands and participation to demand justice in society. 

“I was just exercising my freedom and my rights of expression guaranteed by the Constitution when I participated in these social events. It was not incitement,” Sam An said. 

“I did not incite the people to go against the government as accused,” he said.

Sam An’s lawyer Sam Sokong told reporters after the hearing that Sam An’s case was politically motivated because he is a former CNRP council member in Memout district.

 “I hope that the Supreme Court, which is the highest court,  will make a right decision and overturn the ruling of the lower courts, drop my client’s charges and release him from the prison when the decision is announced on May 4,” he said.

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist