Chen Thearith: UC Scholarship Student of International relations

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

Chen Thearith, 19, one of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2008” students, has provided an interview to The Southeast Asia Weekly on July 9. Thearith is the older of two brothers. His parents are farmers living in Tbong Khmom district, in Kampong Cham province where he born in 1990.

Thearith is now studying International Relations at the University of Cambodia. HE said he was relieved to have passed the scholarship exams from The University of Cambodia in 2008. They took away the financial strain of finding tuition fees.

Thearith pointed out that he studied at Tbong Khmum High School in Kampong Cham province, earning a Baccalaureate in 2008. He applied to study International Relations at UC following the introduction of the Samdech Techo Hun Sen “Vision 100”scholarships and “Samdech-Handa National Scholarships” in 2008.

“I decided to study International Relations with The University of Cambodia as I know that it is the best university in Cambodia. I course in International Relations will help me improve my English and if I am lucky, set me on track to becoming a diplomat,” he said.

Thearith pointed out that in studying at the University he has learned much. He drew attention to dramatic improvements in his ability to communicate in academic English.

“After a year of study here, I continue to enjoy my studies very much. I think that UC is the best university in Cambodia because it has qualified professors, excellent teaching facilities and a modern curriculum. As I am studying at other universities in Phnom Penh, I am qualified to draw the comparison,” he added.

He now studies very hard and reads many books related to his studies every day to achieve his goal. Other research sources include the internet, foreign newspapers and magazines.

Thearith said to reach his goal, he will study hard to earn the Bachelor’s degree. He will then continue to study for Master’s and Doctoral degrees with the University of Cambodia. He said that besides work with The University of Cambodia, he is now studying Civil Engineering at Norton University in Phnom Penh.

He said that he wanted to study Civil Engineering because he wanted a second string to his bow. If his dreams of diplomacy come to nothing, he will be able to develop the nation’s infrastructure.

“I enjoy both International Relations and Engineering. Whichever area of study promises to be most productive, there I will focus my concentration. Either way, my intent is to work towards a brighter future for my country,” he said.

To gain even more knowledge and life skills prior to his graduation, Thearith is now studying internet and computer skills at a private computer school in Phnom Penh. ///

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist