Am Pov On Course To Become IT Expert.

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

One of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarship 2007” students, Am Pov, 29, has provided an interview to The Southeast Asia Weekly on June 30. He is the third in a family of five brothers and two sisters. The family lives in Baseth district, Kampong Speu Province, where he born in 1980.

Am Pov is a Buddhist monk staying at the Svay Porpe Pagoda in Phnom Penh. In addition, he studies Information Technology (IT) with The University of Cambodia. To claim his position, he passed scholarship exams offered by The University of Cambodia in August 2007.

“I became a Buddhist monk in 1997 when I was living in Korng Pisey district in Kampong Speu province. I decided to join the Pagoda because it offered me the chance to study both Dharma and gain a foundation in general education. My aim was – and still is – to support my family and help develop my nation,” he told The Southeast Asia Weekly during an interview on June 30.

Am Pov said that as a monk, he stayed at the Chottenaram pagoda located in Korng Pisey district and later, he moved to the Sothanavong Pagoda, also known as the Phar Daek Pagoda in Otdong district in Kampong Speu province. Whilst there, he continued his studies at the Buddhist Secondary School.

In 2000, he moved to the Thamikaram pagoda to study the Pali language at a Buddhist Pali School in Battambang province. The next stop on his list was the Svay Porpey Pagoda, with further study at the Preah Sangkhareach Bou Kry Buddhist High School in Phnom Penh. He earned his Baccalaureate there in 2007. Consequently, he applied to study IT at UC following introduction of the “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships” in 2007.

“I was relieved to pass the 2007 scholarship exams offered by the University of Cambodia. Without the scholarship, I doubt I would be able to enjoy the benefits of higher education with UC. I will work hard to demonstrate my gratitude to the University authorities. If possible, I would like to take the course all the way to post graduate level. Yes, it is a pipe-dream at the moment, but the scholarship providers have given me the potential to realize it,” he said.

He decided to study Information Technology at the University of Cambodia because of the University’s excellent reputation. “I decided to study IT because when I take all the advantages into account – the fully equipped IT labs, the credit system and the English language policy - UC offers the best chance for me to achieve my goals,” he said.

Am Pov said that besides his studies at UC, he is now studying a short course on Administration and Accounting Skills offered by the Save the Poor Organization in Phnom Penh. This will provide him with an additional set of skills essential to survival in the professional world.

“I will be graduating in two years,” he said. “And I want to equip myself with the full range of transferable skills well before this.”

Peanh Rony, a Buddhist Monk living at Svay Porpey Pagoda and friend to Am Pov, said he appreciated Pov’s capacity for hard work.

Rony said that he has known Am Pov since 2001, when they studied together at the Preah Sangkhareach Bou Kry Buddhist High School in Phnom Penh.

He said that in the pagoda where he stayed, Am Pov developed a reputation for being gentle, friendly, honest and helpful.

“I am pleased to know Am Pov. He has a well defined dream and the drive necessary to achieve it,” he told The Southeast Asia Weekly.

////


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist