UC Scholar Pursues a Career in Journalism

BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

One of The University of Cambodia’s “Samdech Hun Sen-Handa National Scholarships 2008” recipients, Chea Chakrya, 18, said she wants to be a journalist after gradation. Chakrya passed the UC scholarship exams in 2008 in Phnom Penh.

“I am happy and honored that I passed the scholarship exams from The University of Cambodia in 2008. Since I was at the primary and high schools, I never thought that I have a chance to study at The University of Cambodia,” Chakrya said.

Chakrya was born in 1989 in Phnom Penh and she has two brothers. She is the youngest in the family. She received a Baccalaureate in 2008 from Bak Touk High School in Phnom Penh. Shortly after, she applied to study English Literature following an introduction to UC’s scholarship program in September 2008.

She decided to apply for studies of the English Literature because she wants to speak English well and pursue a career as a professional journalist in Cambodia.

“I am lucky to be studying English Literature at The University of Cambodia, which is one of the top ten universities in Cambodia,” Chakrya said. “I will try to study hard to complete my Bachelor’s degree, and I will then apply to work as reporter with local or international media outlet in Cambodia in order to make money to support my family.”

She continued to say that she prefers to study at UC because of its qualified professors, excellent instruction and up-to-date curriculum.

“My dream is to obtain a higher degree in English Literature in the future because I have realized learning never stops and I want to update myself with new knowledge and experiences, as only these can make me academically strong,” she said.

Chakrya said she intends to study Journalism through the Royal University of Phnom Penh’s Media and Communication Department next year. Her final goal is to study English Literature or Journalism in Australia.

“I think that nowadays there are only few Cambodian women working as reporters,” Chakrya said. “I would learn much more information about Cambodia and other countries in the world, especially media freedoms in writing and researching to bring the accurate news to readers.”

She added she now studies very hard and reads many books related to her studies every day. She uses other resources such as the Internet and international newspapers and magazines to conduct research.

Chakrya’s brother Chea Socheat, who received a Master’s degree in Economy and Society from France in 2008 and is a professor at the Royal University of Law and Economic Science in Phnom Penh, expressed his satisfaction with his youngest sister’s efforts.

Socheat said since primary school, his sister has studied hard every day. As a result, she became one of the top ten students in her high school class.

“I am very proud because I have a good sister. I think that her scholarship will encourage her to study harder and to reach her goals,” he said. “I will encourage and support her to obtain higher degrees in the future and I wish her all the best of luck and success. I also hope that she will realize her dreams to speak English fluently and become a good leader or professional journalist in Cambodia.” ////

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laotian gets life for drug trafficking

Sorn Elit, the Tallest Cambodian Taekwando Champion

Chan Tra: Life of a Cambodian Traditional Tattoo Artist